Taco Stuffed Potato Skins
Ingredients and Instructions:
- 8 small russet potatoes (about 3 pounds), washed and dried
- 1/3 cup sour cream, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 small jalapeno, finely chopped
- 2/3 pound ground beef
- 2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- Pinch cayenne, pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives, plus more for serving
- Chopped cooked bacon, for serving
- Finely chopped Hausbeck pickled jalapenos, for serving
- Cilantro leaves, for serving
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Place potatoes on prepared baking sheet. Transfer to oven and roast until easily pierced with the tip of a sharp knife, 55 to 60 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly, about 10 minutes.
Halve potatoes lengthwise. Using a small spoon, gently scoop out all but 1/2 inch potato into a medium bowl; set skins aside. Add sour cream, butter, and milk to bowl with potato; season with salt and pepper. Using a potato masher, mash until smooth and combined. Set aside.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and jalapenos and cook, stirring, until soft and translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add beef and stir to combine. Continue to cook, stirring often, until beef is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Stir in chile powder, cayenne, cumin, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 chopped tomato. Remove from heat and fold beef mixture into mashed potato mixture along with 1 cup cheese and chives; season with salt and pepper.
Spoon potato and meat mixture into hollowed-out potato skins and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle potato skins with remaining 1 cup cheese and transfer to oven; bake until cheese is melted and potatoes are hot, about 20 minutes. Serve topped with sour cream, remaining chopped tomato, chives, bacon, Hausbeck pickled jalapenos, and cilantro.